Wednesday, August 27, 2014

More for me...

There are a lot of catalysts that led me to blogging. Really it's more about keeping a journal than it is about someone stumbling across this blog and reading  it for their entertainment.
My mom's stomach cancer, my aunt's melanoma, and finishing out 2013 with my pneumonia and open 2014 with a possible mass in my lungs are the things that lead me to examine my lifestyle choices. This is a quest for better living through better health.
  I just finished the Science of Skinny by Dee McCaffrey. What an interesting look at food. Fell in love with the geeky science of her theory. However, the nuts and bolts of it are a lot like the South Beach Diet book I read and have followed and failed at. Very time consuming. She recommends walking for forty five minutes six days a week. Who has 6 hours a week to give up? Not me. The recipes look yummy, but I don't have 8 hours a day to spend in the kitchen. I need grab and go food for my busy lifestyle.

I guess the biggest affirmation I got out of this book was I wasn't doing that bad to begin with. I don't eat a lot of processed foods per say. When I do, they are USDA certified organic. Good, right? Wrong. Come to find out [and according to Dee] there are a lot of hidden things like soy lectin in those foods, so they're going away. Just means I've got to make my own granola bars and bread. I was already doing popcorn the way she likes it. It's going to be a challenge to give up cooking with traditional oils, and I'm still not clear on peanut oil and what kind of fat it is.

I'm getting down the warm lemon water in the AM. I have a bottle of lemon juice I'll use up before I go buy fresh lemons. I also already had on my shelf Bragg's apple cider vinegar to make the detox drink. I'm not sure about getting those down 3 times a day. Dee recommends mixing up a gallon at a clip. Gotta remember to try that. The Bragg's stuff is expensive though. I just hope I can afford to go through it more frequently.

Yesterday wasn't too bad food wise. I ate processed free right up until the end. I had a screaming headache. I could barely keep my eyes open, so I caved and had some very unnatural, unhealthy ice cream. Oh, and as I walked through the living room to offer my husband some ice cream he was munching on a bag of pretzels. I grabbed a handful.

Now for a bit of personal philosophy that I pulled out of the vacuum of life exposure. I do not believe in perfection. It is nearly impossible to obtain in this existence. IF obtained, entropy quickly strips it away. Just think about dusting your house for a minute if you don't believe me.

Ultimately though, I am going to try to improve my choices for a better life. I am not happy with my weight or how I look. I try to go to the gym and was doing very well for a while [3-5 times a week]. Now work [landscaping/self employed] is busy so I don't have that kind of time or energy, but I think pulling weeds for 6 hours a day; three times a week should count for something, so I'm not mentally distraught over not getting to the gym.

However, one thing Dee did recommend is keeping a journal. I miss writing, so let's see if I can't make this into a habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment